Monday, March 31, 2008

The last words on Earth

Life demanded a new language.

You, especially you, who might have found the words for it all.

I wanted to describe the world, because to live in an undescribed world was too lonely.

When I got up again, I'd shed the only part of me that had ever thought I'd find words for even the smallest bit of life.

The pancreas I reserve for being struck by all that's been lost.

Sometimes I imagine my own autopsy. Disappointment in myself: right kidney. Disappointment of others in me: left kidney. Personal failures: kishkes.

The pain of forgetting: spine. The pain of remembering: spine.

Loneliness: there is no organ that can take it all.

Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.

When will you learn that there isn't a word for everything?

So this is how death takes you. Naked in an abandoned warehouse.

I never was a man of great ambition. I cried too easily. I didn't have a head for science. Words often failed me. While others prayed I only moved my lips.

... one thing about angels is that they can't swim.

LAUGHING & CRYING & WRITING & WAITING

WORDS FOR EVERYTHING

("For those who taught me the opposite of disappearing" is my label for quotes from Nicole Krauss' "The History of Love")

1 comment:

Cassy said...

This book is AMAZING!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License