Wednesday, May 7, 2008

If not, not

All the lies I've ever told will come back to me one day.

... I imagined rooms all over the city that housed archives no one has ever heard of, like last words, white lies, and false descendants of Catherine the Great.

There are no pay phones in the arctic.

I'm sick of famous writers.

Why do people always get named after dead people? If they have t be named after anything at all, why can't it be things, which have more permanence, like the sky or the sea, or even ideas, which never really die, not even bad ones?

The way Uncle Julian smiled was always a little lopsided, with one side of his mouth curling up with the other, as if part of him refuse to cooperate with the rest.

How to restore a heartbeat.

"I'm not awake," I finally said. "Me either," said Bird.

Dear Al, Wittgenstein once wrote that when the eye sees something beautiful, the hand wants to draw it. I wish I could draw you.

From Nicole Krauss' The History of Love.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License